Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 13
  1. #1
    spring is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    7,999

    Default Parents Beware of "Teen Challenge"

    I have personally recomended a rehab facilty in the past but now feel a need to post a warning regarding this same facility...

    Teen Challenge is known as "The Faith-based Solution to the Drug Epidemic", a Christian long term drug rehab facility with a "cure rate" of something like 86%. That is, until enough facts and testimonials have recently been gathered to prove otherwise.

    Not only have the "cure rates" been overly exaggerated, but proof of emotional, mental, and even physical abuse, to name a few, is now out in the open and under investigation. The almighty dollar trumps Almighty God with these people as far as I can tell.

    There are TC facilites all over the country and all of them may not be the same tho from what I've learned there are plenty of them that are nowhere close to being a rehab but more like an abusive bootcamp type setting.


    For those parents who have been considering sending their kids to Teen Challenge, please do your homework and research first.

    Testimonials http://www.teenchallengeexposed.com/contactus.html

    Behind the Walls http://www.teenchallengeexposed.com/index.html

    Hell on Earth http://www.teenchallengeexposed.com/aboutus.html
    ~Do the Right Thing and Risk the Consequences~






  2. #2
    4Degrees's Avatar
    4Degrees is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, .
    Posts
    544

    Default

    Yeah, I met some people in NA who went through that, It was like a year long thing and seemed a little too intense. I'm always wary of christian based recovery programs because it seems some of them, not necessarily all or most of them, are a complete joke and don't have any type of addiction or behavioral counseling but just have bible study all the time and make you work and stuff...

    Get up and free yourself from yourself.
    Locked up inside you,
    like the calm beneath castles,
    is a cavern of treasures that
    no-one has been to.
    Let's go digging.
    Bring it out to take you back in. - MJK

  3. #3
    Allgood is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    4,461

    Default

    Just an FYI - this program is for both adults and adolescents. In fact, everyone that I have known to attend the program is in their 20's or 30's. Parents beware, I suppose ....but addicts beware as well.

    I actually work with a number of alcoholics/addicts in the jails in VT who attend this program as an alternative to serving their max. I have witnessed and heard of (in VT at least) nothing but positive results from this program. Don;t know about other areas of the country, but in VT it can be and has been an absolute life saver for many.

    Much love,
    T

  4. #4
    Jymi's Avatar
    Jymi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA, .
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Are you hearing that from inmates that have no reason to lie about their experience to assuage your expectations of them? I'm not assuming that is the case, but wondering if maybe this could have something to do with your positive feedback, being their desire to say their are "healing" is being pushed by their want to be free of prison.

    For instance, Sherrif Joe, when you watch that pig faced red neck run around his camps, all of the inmates (while on tv) are his friend and have nothing but good things to say about the horrible way they are being treated and his crappy "spare the rod spoil the child" micromanagement approach to life. They know better than to say anything to upset his illusion of the system as it will only make their lives harder, but once they are out of the prisons, they have plenty to share with others about how awful it was on the inside.

    It's hard to get peoples honest opinion when there is power being held over their heads (hmm, interesting concept) Anyway, AllGood what's your take on that dynamic within the "correctional" facility you work in? Does it really sound like they are giving you a heart felt opinion? Does the program facility seem to be ran with the same sort of "cram it down your throat, because it's the truth" approach these others are?

    James




    <center>To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget.
    ~Arundhati Roy~</center>

  5. #5
    spring is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    7,999

    Default

    quote:Originally posted by Allgood

    Just an FYI - this program is for both adults and adolescents. In fact, everyone that I have known to attend the program is in their 20's or 30's. Parents beware, I suppose ....but addicts beware as well.

    I actually work with a number of alcoholics/addicts in the jails in VT who attend this program as an alternative to serving their max. I have witnessed and heard of (in VT at least) nothing but positive results from this program. Don;t know about other areas of the country, but in VT it can be and has been an absolute life saver for many.

    Much love,
    T
    Yes I am aware that the program is for adults also, but it was a few parents of teens to whom I recommended the program to and wanted to alert them.

    Vermont is one of the few states that I havent heard anything about tho this investigation is still farly new. I think it has more to do with who is running the particular facility than who the staff is more than anything. It seems that the complaints were more aimed at the higher ups since the complaints are coming from staff and patients.

    David Wilkerson, the founder, never intended for anything like this to happen I'm sure.

    <center>~Do the right thing and risk the consequences~</center>

  6. #6
    spring is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    7,999

    Default

    quote:Originally posted by Jymi

    Are you hearing that from inmates that have no reason to lie about their experience to assuage your expectations of them? I'm not assuming that is the case, but wondering if maybe this could have something to do with your positive feedback, being their desire to say their are "healing" is being pushed by their want to be free of prison.

    For instance, Sherrif Joe, when you watch that pig faced red neck run around his camps, all of the inmates (while on tv) are his friend and have nothing but good things to say about the horrible way they are being treated and his crappy "spare the rod spoil the child" micromanagement approach to life. They know better than to say anything to upset his illusion of the system as it will only make their lives harder, but once they are out of the prisons, they have plenty to share with others about how awful it was on the inside.

    It's hard to get peoples honest opinion when there is power being held over their heads (hmm, interesting concept) Anyway, AllGood what's your take on that dynamic within the "correctional" facility you work in? Does it really sound like they are giving you a heart felt opinion? Does the program facility seem to be ran with the same sort of "cram it down your throat, because it's the truth" approach these others are?

    James




    <center>To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget.
    ~Arundhati Roy~</center>
    Who is Sheriff Joe? I'm not sure who you're talking about Jymi.

    In some of the testimonials (see link) there are many who were threatened with or sent back to jail if they dared to complain or didnt comply with the rules. I'm talking unnecessary rules, like praying for so many hours per day, speaking in tongues, not making any sales on the telemarketing phones, etc.

    If someone wantd to leave, they were locked out of the building, were not given their belongings, and told things like Satan was going to come at them 10 tens worse than ever.

    None of these are the kinds of things that "Jesus would do".

    <center>~Do the right thing and risk the consequences~</center>

  7. #7
    4Degrees's Avatar
    4Degrees is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Saint Louis, MO, .
    Posts
    544

    Default

    I concur, Christ is probably gonna throw some lightning bolts at those people when he comes back...

    Get up and free yourself from yourself.
    Locked up inside you,
    like the calm beneath castles,
    is a cavern of treasures that
    no-one has been to.
    Let's go digging.
    Bring it out to take you back in. - MJK

  8. #8
    Jymi's Avatar
    Jymi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA, .
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Sheriff Joe is that guy in Arizona that runs those outdoor prisons, believes tough love is the only way and seems to have a very insecure ego that is free to make everyone else miserable to his liking. Let me get you a link..

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

    http://www.arpaio.com/






    <center>To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget.
    ~Arundhati Roy~</center>

  9. #9
    Jymi's Avatar
    Jymi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA, .
    Posts
    250

    Default

    quote:Originally posted by spring

    quote:Originally posted by Jymi

    Are you hearing that from inmates that have no reason to lie about their experience to assuage your expectations of them? I'm not assuming that is the case, but wondering if maybe this could have something to do with your positive feedback, being their desire to say their are "healing" is being pushed by their want to be free of prison.

    For instance, Sherrif Joe, when you watch that pig faced red neck run around his camps, all of the inmates (while on tv) are his friend and have nothing but good things to say about the horrible way they are being treated and his crappy "spare the rod spoil the child" micromanagement approach to life. They know better than to say anything to upset his illusion of the system as it will only make their lives harder, but once they are out of the prisons, they have plenty to share with others about how awful it was on the inside.

    It's hard to get peoples honest opinion when there is power being held over their heads (hmm, interesting concept) Anyway, AllGood what's your take on that dynamic within the "correctional" facility you work in? Does it really sound like they are giving you a heart felt opinion? Does the program facility seem to be ran with the same sort of "cram it down your throat, because it's the truth" approach these others are?

    James




    <center>To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget.
    ~Arundhati Roy~</center>
    Who is Sheriff Joe? I'm not sure who you're talking about Jymi.

    In some of the testimonials (see link) there are many who were threatened with or sent back to jail if they dared to complain or didnt comply with the rules. I'm talking unnecessary rules, like praying for so many hours per day, speaking in tongues, not making any sales on the telemarketing phones, etc.

    If someone wantd to leave, they were locked out of the building, were not given their belongings, and told things like Satan was going to come at them 10 tens worse than ever.

    None of these are the kinds of things that "Jesus would do".

    <center>~Do the right thing and risk the consequences~</center>
    I remember in growing up in Christian fundamentalism, that is was loosing my family because I didn't believe as they did that hurt me worse than anything their demons could throw at me.. it was a bitter sweet mess of the heart. I'm glad we've mended over the years. Things are still a bit weird in some spots but we are a family and we do love each other, and THAT above any dogma is what is important.


    <center>To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget.
    ~Arundhati Roy~</center>
    </font id="Comic Sans MS

  10. #10
    spring is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Posts
    7,999

    Default

    I thought you were referring to a tv program, a reality show of some sort or documentary, when you desribed sheriff joe.

    I forgot to add a very important point...many of these patients said that nothing worked as well for them as the AA/NA programs. Aint it the truth!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Spring: You are right to be concerned. I'm not sure about how things are in the US, but here, in the UK at least, the things I've heard about Teen Challenge Rehab/ Detox units fit in entirely with your worries.

    My partner (who is a staunch atheist) went to a Teen Challenge Detox Centre about 6 years ago, in the hope to have a (relatively) cheap way of detoxing. He was, at this point, using 3 or 4 grams + a day of heroin. They gave him some pitifully weak amount of DFs, and a yellow valium for the first day, as he had had fits before whilst withdrawaing, but made it clear that was the only meds he would be given. This was not what he was told would happen before he went there, i.e. he was under the impression he would be given meds for the full detox.

    The people running these places have no understanding of the physiological mechanisms of withdrawal. For some reason, they deprived him of all of his possesions, including his mouthwash, shaving cream, toothpaste (?!), "inappropriate clothing", ciggies, books, music etc. On his first full day there, when he wasn't properly withdrawing yet, he was woken up at 6.30am for "Bible Study and Reflection". His thoughts were that he needed all the sleep he could get, seeing as from that evening onwards he wouldn't be sleeping at all for god knows how long. They then tried to enlist him on what he describes as a "Hitler Youth" work detail.

    It was at this point that he decided to leave. From saying that he wanted to leave, to being alowed to actually leave the premises, took nearly 24 hours. Their last-ditch attempt at keeping him there was to physically restrain him, encircle him and start talking in tongues, convulsing, shouting nonsence at him, trying to get "God to enter into his body, to help give him the strength to continue there". All this whilst he was (by now) in quite serious withdrawal. Nutters.

    Needless to say, he was out of there like sh*te off a shovel.

    So, unless you're looking for a load of abusive religious zealots with no understanding of physical addiction posing as pseudo-shrinks, stay well away from these centres. They are bad news. You have been warned.

    Helene

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    , , .
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Sorry keep getting caught out by the UK/US lingo differences, you guys may have known what I meant, but just in case they've a different name in the US: DFs = DF118s = dihydrocodeine

    Helene

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Information in this forum is not monitored or provided by a medical professional. The information reflects member opinions only. Do not act on advice from these forums without first consulting a qualified medical professional. All content is copyrighted and protected by Aelius Group.